We usually use two primary materials as covers for upholstery products in the furniture area, such as chairs and sofas. One is PU, and the other one is fabric.
PU is a synthetic polymer compound. It acclaim as" The Fifth Plastic." And it is widely used in many fields of national economy such as furniture industry, because of its excellent performance.
What are the main advantages and disadvantages of PU?
- Various colors with different textures are available.
- It is soft and has high toughness, which is a benefit to use as cover.
- It is waterproof and easy to clean and maintain. It is a good choice for homemakers.
- Air permeability is not good，and if we glue it to foam inside. It will easily cause PU to lose from foam.
- It needs to avoid direct sunlight. Otherwise, wrinkles or cracks may occur.
The other big category is fabric, but the fabric usually means polyester material in the furniture area. What is polyester? Polyester fabric is a kind of chemical fiber fabric widely used in daily life.
- Its most significant advantage is anti-wrinkle ability and shape retention. Therefore, it is suitable for outdoor and indoor articles such as clothing, chairs, sofas, bags, tents.
- Most of the polyester is soft and comfortable to touch, which is accessible skin material.
- Polyester has high toughness, good elasticity, and heat-resisting property. Therefore the mouldability is excellent.
- It is not easy to clean if used as furniture covered, such as dining chairs.
- Not waterproof, should be careful.
- Pilling resistance is relatively low.
After reading this article, I think you should have a rough idea that each material has its advantages and disadvantages. It would help if you combined your living & family condition and your habits to choose suitable materials and furniture for your lovely home.